Botox is often associated with mature men and women who are hoping to turn back the hands of time. But recently, the toxin has become popular among millennials who want to get a head start on maintaining their youthful looks. Annual statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons note that Botox procedures have seen a 28% increase since 2010 among 20 to 29-year-olds. As getting a Botox shot is starting to become a normal part of a millennial’s beauty routine, it appears that there’s no stopping this trend from taking over the US and the rest of the world.
Fear Of “Looking Old”
In a recent study on body image, it was found that more young women are starting to complain about the signs of aging. The study, which polled 914 women between the ages of 18 to 87, revealed that 85% of 18 to 29-year-olds are “engaging in old talk.” Carolyn Black Becker Ph.D., a psychology professor at Trinity College who co-authored the study, told Elle that she heard comments from the young women about not wanting to look old.
“I heard comments like, ‘I use fillers because I’m seeing the bare hint of a line. I wouldn’t want to have any wrinkles or any lines on my face,’” Becker said.
Fear of looking old isn’t just experienced by young women in the US. In a recent poll of 450 women between the ages of 21 to 55 in South Korea, it was found that 4 in 10 women have had either Botox or filler treatments. Most get injectibles or plastic surgery while they’re in their late teens or early 20s. As one woman told The New Yorker, they opt to get their surgeries while they’re still young “so we can have our new faces for a long time.”
At What Age Should You Get Preventative Botox?
After much speculation about her changed appearance, Kylie Jenner famously admitted that she had lip fillers while in her teens. The reality star’s case isn’t uncommon though as nowadays, even teenagers are contemplating plastic surgery, fillers, or Botox in a bid to look even better in real life or in social media posts. However, how young is too young to get Botox? And at what age should you get preventative Botox to get the best results? Joshua Zeichner, the Director of Cosmetic and Clinical Research at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, told Allure that he recommends patients to get Botox once they see lines starting to develop on their faces.
“In some people, this may be in the mid-twenties, while in others after 30,” said Zeichner.
Alternatives To Preventative Botox
For some, preventative Botox is the answer to ensure that their youthful appearance lasts for a long time. However, too much Botox may present unwanted side effects. One can get an atrophied forehead, or you can end up with an unnatural smile if too much of the toxin is injected into the sides of the eyes to treat crow’s feet. The good news is that these side effects usually wear off after a few months.
If you’re not quite ready to get Botox or if you’d rather care for your skin without resorting to professional treatments, you can start a skin care regimen that’s high in antioxidants and use a good sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. A low glycemic diet may also help to slow down the signs of skin aging. Once you’ve decided to go for preventative Botox shots, make sure to do your research and go to a licensed aesthetician or dermatologist for the treatment.
Resources & Further Reading:
1. Why Are Millennials Getting Botox and Fillers In Their Twenties?, Plastic Surgery.org, https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/why-are-millennials-getting-botox-and-fillers-in-their-twenties
2. Do Fillers Actually Make You Look Older? Elle, https://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/news/a38042/young-people-using-fillers-botox-plastic-surgery/
3. 4 in 10 Korean Women Have Had Botox or Filler Treatments, Chosun, http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/05/06/2017050600310.html
4. About Face: Why Is South Korea The World’s Plastic Surgery Capital? The New Yorker, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/23/about-face
5. This Is the Age You Should Start Preventative Botox, According to Dermatologists, Allure, https://www.allure.com/story/preventative-botox-age-dermatologists
6. How Young Is Too Young For Botox? Refinery 29, https://www.refinery29.com/botox-dangers-twenties-expert-opinion