Every year, it seems like a new skincare routine or product gets Internet famous as they’re touted to give you the best skin you’ll ever have. For instance, 2017 was all about the glass skin skincare routine, while earlier this year it was all about having “cloudless” skin. Both routines call for numerous steps and products, and while these skincare regimens may have resulted in clear skin for many people, it can be time-consuming and costly in the long run. The good news is that there are easier—and cheaper—ways to get great skin, and one way to achieve a flawless complexion is to consume a vitamin-rich fruit, such as watermelon.
Watermelon, which is more than just a summer staple or a mainstay in cocktails, has surprising benefits that will keep your skin looking its best. Whether eaten as a snack or used topically, here’s how watermelon can give you smooth, glowing skin.
Hydrating And Skin-Strengthening Properties
Although watermelon is made up of mostly water, this fruit is packed with vitamins and antioxidants that can hydrate your skin. It contains Vitamins A and C, which can keep skin and hair moisturized, and it encourages the growth of collagen and elastin cells. This leads to having resilient skin, which can delay the signs of aging such as wrinkles and skin discoloration.
Watermelon Can Naturally Brighten Your Skin
If you’ve got dull skin or have an uneven skin tone, try snacking on a wedge of watermelon to improve your complexion. The fruit contains glutathione, which has skin brightening and lightening properties. Eating watermelon or using the fruit as an exfoliant is a natural way to get brighter skin. Though it may take some time before you can see results, using watermelon as a skin whitening or brightening agent is safer than using commercial skin lightening creams, which may cause side effects such as rashes, allergic reactions, having thinner skin and even hypertension.
Relieves Minor Skin Irritation
The hot summer months can bring on a host of skin problems ranging from oiliness, heat rash, and skin itching. Fortunately, you can soothe these minor skin conditions by applying a cool wedge of watermelon to the affected area. If you’d rather eat watermelon than rub it on your skin, don’t fret—watermelon-enriched skincare products can also alleviate these problems as they’re infused with the same moisturizing and soothing properties as the fruit.
Caring For Your Skin With Watermelon
The easiest way to incorporate watermelon into your skincare routine is to eat the fruit on a regular basis. A wedge of watermelon consumed at least three times a week can give you the vitamins and antioxidants needed to improve your complexion and give it a healthy glow over time.
Once you’re done eating the fruit, don’t throw away the rinds, you can use them to make a DIY watermelon rind mask or face mist. To make the mask, just slice the rind into paper-thin pieces and apply to your face. To make the face mist, simply chill the rind, grate it, then strain through a cheesecloth. Place the liquid in a spray bottle and mist onto your skin.
Eating watermelon is a natural and inexpensive way to give your skin a beautiful glow. However, it is important to be certain that you’re not allergic to the fruit for your health and safety. If you experience shortness of breath, facial or tongue swelling, or dizziness after eating the fruit, seek medical attention immediately.
Resources & Further Reading:
1. This Woman’s “Glass Skin” Skincare Routine Is Going Viral, Allure, https://www.allure.com/story/viral-glass-skin-skin-care-routine
2. Forget Glass Skin- “Cloudless” Skin Is The Latest Korean Skincare Trend, Birdie, https://www.byrdie.com/cloudless-skin-korean-beauty
3. Watermelon: Health Benefits, Risks, and Nutrition Facts, Live Science, https://www.livescience.com/46019-watermelon-nutrition.html
5. Creams Offering Lighter Skin May Bring Risks, The New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/health/16skin.html
6. Why Watermelon Is The Beauty Ingredient You Need This Summer, Independent, https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/watermelon-skincare-beauty-spring-summer-2018-korean-trend-a8334726.html
7. The Korean Skincare Secret You’ve Been Waiting For Just Arrived, Vogue, https://www.vogue.com/article/korean-skincare-glow-recipe-watermelon-face-mist-face-mask-summer-beauty